I don’t know if it’s late or not for back to school diy. Because in my country, Indonesia, school has already started from a couple of weeks ago. University hasn’t started yet, and we still have one or two months for holiday, or more. But can we just said that university is a school too? Yeah I always think like that, I don’t know. We study at University too, what’s the different? I know several differences, but I still think that University is a school too. My friend also told me some differences between high school and college/university that I never realized before. I think it’s not that late for school in another country, and at least school in my country will have another holiday in a few more days yeeaay :D.
I wanted to do this project for a long time ago, but never be brave enough to do it. I’m afraid to cut my jeans, even though I know this jeans will never be worn again. But I will never know the result if I never try it. So, I finally did it. Let me show you what I did with this old jeans and make a DIY denim backpack! Hooray!
First thing first, you will need:
– Old jeans
– Needle and threads or sewing machine
– Fabric chalk
– Velcro straps
– Ribbon or any string
2. Add 1 cm from the mark for seam allowance, and then cut the jeans.
3. Cut around the inside leg.
5. Sew where the marks are.
8. Then mark a line for a hole. Flip the pinch, and mark again. Flip the pinch again, and mark, this is the last for the left side. Make sure all the marks is at the same line, imagine it when you insert a string in it. Do this for the other side.
9. Cut the marks to make holes. I folded the mark in half then cut with scissors.
11. My straps are 23 cm x 3,5 cm. First cut two strips with width 9 cm (7 cm from 2×3,5 cm + seam allowance). I know the leg part is not long enough for backpack straps, so I cut two for each straps. When this two strips are connected, the length must be the length of the straps you want. Don’t forget seam allowance every edges.
12. Face the right side together, sew these two strips together to make one strap.
13. After that, fold the strip lengthwise with right side facing each other and then sew.
14. Do this to make another strap.
21. Insert ribbon or any string (ex. shoe string) to the holes.
22. Pull the string. The backpack should has been pinched like we did before.
23. Tie the string, close the backpack, and…. there you have jeans backpack!Hooraaay! Throw the confetti!
I think this is my favorite project so far. How is my backpack turned out? You can decorate it if you want like I did in here.
Do you like this project? Feel free to leave your thoughts in the comment box below. But don’t forget to click the publish button hehe. Don’t worry, I won’t bite you 😛
Stay tuned for next back to school ideas. I will make a list of my favorite back to school diys that I found (or will find) on the internet. If you have a back to school diy, you can share your link to me 😀